Skip to main content

Iowa State University. Department of Kinesiology records

 Record Group — Multiple Containers
Identifier: RS 10/7

Scope and Content

The collection consists of materials related to the Department of Health and Human Performance. Records include news clippings, newsletters, brochures, subject files, biographical files, Orchesis records, ISU Dance Company records, Women's Athletic Association records, Women's Intramural Association records, Women's Intercollegiate Sports Association records, Physical Education Committee records and faculty papers.

Dates

  • 1902-2013

Language of Materials

English

Access Restrictions

Open for research.

Use/Re-use Restrictions

Consult Special Collections and University Archives

Biography/Profile

In the early years at Iowa State, the only organized physical activity for women had been the Ladies Militia. This group was started because of student interest: G (for Girls) Company was established in 1878; a second company, L (for Ladies) Company was added in 1891. The battalion was disbanded in 1897.

In 1899, the Department of Elocution and Oratory began offering a course for sophomore women in "Aesthetic Culture." This consisted of "a series of lectures on the different phases of Aesthetics, physical drills, looking toward the best development of the body, for both health and expression." (General Catalog, 1900). It seems odd today that physical education would be part of what we think of as speech instruction. However, at the turn of the century, gesture and physical control were considered an integral part of public speaking. Part of the Elocution course description from the 1900 Catalog conveys this: "The oration. . .carefully written and criticised, carefully drilled and rehearsed, gives a practice in thought and bodily control not to be found in any other line of work."

Aesthetic (changed to Physical in 1902) Culture for Women remained part of Elocution until 1915, when it was transferred to the Division of Home Economics. Ercel Eppright and Elizabeth Storms Ferguson, in A Century of Home Economics at Iowa State University, suggest that the move was made because 80% of women students were enrolled in the Home Economics Division and also because Margaret Hall, which housed the Physical Education facilities was identified with Home economics. Both a food and a sewing lab were located in the building.

In 1930, students were offered a major course in the Division of Industrial Science, in which a major in physical education could be combined with a major in another science. The major in Physical Education was established in 1959, finally allowing both men and women to pursue the major. After the merger, the degree became the B.S. in Exercise and Sports Science, with options in exercise science, teaching, athletic training, sport management, or exercise and sport studies. A B.S. in Community Health Education was added later, and later the two B.S. were combined to form the B.S. in Health and Human Performance, with options in Athletic Training, Community and Public Health, Exercise and Sport Science, Health/Fitness Management, Physical Education (licensure program), and Sport Management.

An M.S. in Physical Education was approved in the 1970’s, and a Ph.D. and an M.Ed. program were added (1999); these additions forced the M.S. program to be limited to a thesis-only option. These three programs have options in either the Behavioral Basis of Physical Activity (physical activity and health or sport management,) or the Biological Basis of Physical Activity (analysis and control of movement or exercise physiology).

In 1993, the Department was renamed the Department of Health and Human Performance. In 2005, the department became part of the College of Human Sciences. In 2007, it became the Department of Kinesiology.

Extent

18.96 Linear Feet (3 record boxes, 16 document boxes, 8 half-document boxes, and 4 large flat boxes)

Abstract

In 1974, this department was created by the merger of the Department of Physical Education for Men and the Department of Physical Education for Women. The two departments had been in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the College of Home Economics, respectively, until 1973 when they were moved to the College of Education. Physical Education for Men was instituted in 1913 under the name Physical Training for Men. The major in Physical Education was established in 1959. In 1993, the Department became the Department of Health and Human Performance, and more recently the Department of Kinesiology. The collection contains news clippings, newsletters, brochures, subject files, biographical files, Orchesis records, ISU Dance Company records, Women's Athletic Association records, Women's Intramural Association records, Women's Intercollegiate Sports Association records, and Physical Education Committee records.

Items in related collections

RS 10/7/13. Barbara Ellen Forker papers, 1947-2011, undated RS 10/7/51. Betty Toman papers, 1930-2010, undated RS 10/7/52. Janice A. Beran papers, 1968-2012, undated RS 10/7/11. Winifred R. Tilden papers, 1891-2010, undated RS 10/7/12. Germaine G. Guiot papers, circa 1897-1978, undated

General

Iowa State University. Department of Health and Human Performance records

Processing Information

Released on 2018-08-03.

Title
RS 10/7. Iowa State University. Department of Kinesiology records, 1902-2013
Date
April 18, 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
403 Parks Library
701 Morrill Road
Iowa State University
Ames Iowa 50011-2102 United States
(515) 294-6672