Dwight W. Bensend papers
Scope and Content
The collection (1943-2007) contains professional correspondence, biographical information, retirement, and dedication documents. The collection also contains materials from Dr. Bensend’s work with the University of Kentucky Contract Team in Indonesia, and eight publications by Dr. Bensend that focus on his work with forestry and wood products.
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Dwight W. Bensend was born on March 3, 1913 in Turtle Lake, Wisconsin. He received his B.S. (1937) and Ph. D. (1942) from the University of Minnesota. He began his career at the University of Minnesota as a Teaching Assistant (1937-1938) and Instructor (1938-1942). Bensend worked as a Technologist (1942-1944) at the United States Forest Products Lab. He then accepted a position as an Associate Professor (1944-1947) at Utah State College. In 1947, He joined the faculty at Iowa State University as a Professor (1947-1978). Bensend retired in from Iowa State in 1978.
Bensend was a member of several professional associations including the Forest Products Research Society, Society of Wood Science and Technology, International Association of Wood Anatamists, and American Wood Preservers Association. He also belonged to the Iowa Academy of Science, Society of American Foresters, Gamma Sigma Delta, Sigma Xi, Phi Kappa Phi, Osborne Research Club, and Xi Sigma Pi. Bensend also served with Indonesia AID (1961-1962) as a member of the University of Kentucky Contract Team in Bogor, Indonesia.
Bensend married Marguerite and they had three children: Winifred, Betty, and Mary.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 Document Box)
Language of Materials
The collection is organized Alphabetically.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Iowa State University. Department of Forestry
- Iowa State University. Department of Forestry--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Science and Mathematics - Forests and forestry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 9/14/72. Dwight W. Bensend papers, 1943-2007
- April 10, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note