Leonard F. Kellogg papers
Scope and Content
This collection (1923-1990, undated) includes official, personal, and professional correspondence; course notes and syllabi; notes from faculty meetings; conference programs; correspondence and publications related to the Society of American Foresters; various research files on forestry subjects such as flood control, erosion prevention, lumber grading, disease prevention and characteristics on various species of trees; research on various regions, including the Ohio River Basin, the Tennessee River Basin, the Platte River, and a large amount of information on Iowa forestry, sawmills, national and state parks and forests. The collection also contains working manuscripts, published material, and some extension service reports. Also included are numerous photographs of forests, trees, aerial surveys, Native Americans, historical markers and artifacts, and photos of a Des Moines sawmill company. Contains geographic surveys of areas Kellogg researched, including the Platte River, the Tennessee River, and Indiana.
- 1923-1990, undated
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Leonard Field Kellogg was born to Leonard F. and Carrie Adelia Kellogg in Marshalltown, Iowa, on February 4, 1900. He was a student at the University of Chicago (1918-1920) majoring in chemistry and physics, but transferred to the University of California in 1921 to study forestry. Following the completion of his B.S. (1924) in forestry, he served as a Junior Forester at Shasta National Forest (1924-1926) and also at the Appalachian Forest Experiment Station (1927) in Asheville, North Carolina. He then enrolled at Yale School of Forestry where he received his M.F. (1928) in forestry.
Kellogg then turned to research and became an Assistant Silviculturist (1928-1931) at the Central States Forest Experiment Station (CSFES) in Columbus, Ohio. The majority of his work there was concerned with walnut plantation management. He was promoted to Associate Silviculturist (1931-1935) and Silviculturist (1935-1949). He later spent one year as Silviculturist with the Ames Branch of the CSFES (1948). Kellogg joined the Iowa State faculty in 1949 as Professor (1949-1965) of forestry, teaching mensuration and forest management. He maintained this position until he was named Professor Emeritus (1965) and retired from teaching. As a professor, Kellogg was especially involved in Iowa State’s forestry summer camps where students observed logging practices, learned about timber management, utilization of wood by industry, and engaged in research work in forestry. He instructed students in silviculture and forest biology at fifteen such camps and directed three.
Kellogg received the Frudden Award from the Society of American Foresters (1965) for his contributions to forestry in Iowa. He was an active lifetime member in the Society of American Foresters (1925), Sigma Xi (1924), Gamma Sigma Delta (1933), and the California Foresters Association. Throughout his career, Kellogg was the author of several articles and papers written extensively on forestry subjects.
Leonard Kellogg married Edith Almeda Lockwood of Tulsa, Oklahoma. They had two children, Virginia and Perry. Kellogg passed away on February 15, 1990, at his home in Ames, Iowa.
4.83 Linear Feet (11 document boxes, 1 half-document box, and 1 map case folder)
This collection is organized Alphabetically.
This collection is stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives at least 3 working days in advance.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Erosion Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Flood control Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Forest influences Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Forest policy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. Department of Forestry
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Maps (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Photographs Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Programs (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Reports Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Science and Mathematics - Forests and forestry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Trees--Diseases and pests Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Trees--Identification Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 9/14/51. Leonard F. Kellogg papers, 1923-1990, undated
- July 1, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note