George Willis Thomson papers
Scope and Content
The collection (1950-2007, undated) contains biographical information and professional correspondence. The collection also contains a number of Dr. Thomson’s professional publications. These publications focus on Dr. Thomson’s work with management, range management forest photogrammetry, forest history, and Midwestern forest history.
- 1950-2007, undated
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
George Willis Thomson was born on July 10, 1921 in Seward, Illinois. He received his B.S. (1943) in Forestry from Iowa State University, M.S. (1947) in Forest Management-Plant Physiology from Iowa State University, and Ph. D. (1956) in Silviculture-Soils from Iowa State University. He served in the United States Army (1943-1946) as a Master Sergeant in the Department of Ordnance. He served as a Research Assistant (1947), Instructor (1948-1951), Assistant Professor (1951-1956), Associate Professor (1956-1960), Professor (1960-1975), and Department Head (1967, 1975-1985) at Iowa State University.
Dr. Thomson was a member of Gamma Sigma Delta, Xi Sigma Pi, Sigma Xi, Phi Kappa Phi, Society of American Foresters, American Society of Photogrammetry, Society for Range Management, American Forestry Association, and the Soil Conservation Society of America.
Dr. Thomson married Dorothy M. Hart of Kalamazoo, Michigan. They had three sons: Bruce, Raymond, and Craig. Dr. Thomson died on November 8, 1993.
2.56 Linear Feet (3 document boxes, 1 record center carton)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged alphabetically into two series:
Series 1, Biographical Information and Correspondence, 1953-2007, undated
Series 2, Professional Publications, 1957-1988, undated
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Forests and forestry--Study and teaching (Higher)--Iowa--Ames Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. Department of Forestry
- Iowa State University. Department of Forestry--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photogrammetry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Science and Mathematics - Forests and forestry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 9/14/15. George Willis Thomson papers, 1950-2007, undated
- March 26, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note