Charles J. Hearst papers
Scope and Content
The collection includes business and personal letters, maps, newspaper clippings, writings, photographs, and a biographical account of Hearst’s life.
Series I, Agricultural Delegation trip to the USSR, contains official letters and itineraries that Hearst received prior to the delegation in 1955. Materials from the actual trip include lists of soviet officials, maps, passports, newspaper clippings, photographs, and Hearst’s diaries describing the events of the delegation. Following the trip, Hearst was invited to speak about his experiences and observations, and invitations and texts of speeches are among post-trip materials. There are also several articles about the delegation and its members from Indiana Farmers Guide, Chemurgic Digest, and Washington Report.
Series II, Iowa Farm Bureau European farm trip in 1947 contains correspondence, diaries, newspaper clippings, published articles, and memorabilia documenting Hearst’s trips to the United Kingdom and countries in Western Europe. Included are letters from Arthur H. Vandenburg with reference to the testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations regarding the Marshall Plan, articles by and about Hearst as a delegate, and memorabilia collected by Hearst.
Series III, organizations and activities series contains correspondence and reports documenting Hearst’s involvement with a variety of groups, including the USDA
Advisory Committee on Feed Grains and Wheat (1961), the Black Hawk County Board of Education, the Farmer’s Home Administration, the Committee for Educational Television, the Center for Agricultural and Economic Adjustment, the Chicago Producer’s Commission Association, the National Livestock Credit Corporation, and the National Packinghouse Workers of America
Series IV, biographical information and personal memorabilia, contains a brief biographical sketch and memorabilia relating to rural life in Iowa.
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Charles J. Hearst, 1904-1980, third-generation owner and operator of Maplehearst Farm, a livestock operation near Cedar Falls, Iowa, was a member of national, state, and local governmental agencies including the Foreign Policy Committee of the United States Chamber of Commerce, the Black Hawk County Board of Education, and the Cedar Falls Rotary Club. Hearst worked with the Iowa Farm Bureau Federation, the Producer’s Commission Association of Chicago, the National Farm Institute, and the Farm Policy Council. Hearst was a member of the 1947 Iowa Farm Bureau Federation trip to study conditions in post war Europe. He was invited to testify before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in regard to the Marshall Plan. In 1955, he was chosen to be a member of the American Agricultural Delegation to the USSR, part of an exchange program that played a significant role in early U.S. and Soviet post war relations.
2.94 Linear Feet (7 document boxes)
The collection consists of four series:
Series 1, Agricultural Delegation trip to the USSR
Series 2, Iowa Farm Bureau European farm trip
Series 3, Organizations and activities
Series 4, Biographical information and personal memorabilia.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Agriculture and state--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Agriculture--Europe Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Agriculture--International cooperation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Agriculture--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Agriculture--Soviet Union Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Agriculture--United States--Economic aspects--1945- Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Articles Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Diaries Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Farmers--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. Center for Agricultural and Economic Adjustment
- Iowa. Governor's Commission on Economic and Social Trends
- Iowa. Higher Education Facilities Commission
- Livestock breeders--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Farm Institute
- Photographs Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Speeches (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- MS-0003. Charles J. Hearst papers, 1935-1970
- December 12, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description