Dale O. Hull papers
Scope and Content
This collection (1917-1999) contains biographical information, correspondence, publications, and research files. Many of Hull's publications on farm machinery, safety, and structures are included. The bulk of the collection contains Hull's research and reference files, which includes information on structures and processing, farm safety, and power equipment and machinery. These files contain an assortment of materials including correspondence, manufacturer's product literature, agricultural extension publications, and reports.
- Hull, Dale O. (Person)
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Dale Otis Hull was born February 26, 1912, in Oskaloosa, Iowa. He received his B.S. (1939) and M.S. (1940) in agricultural engineering from Iowa State College (University).
At Iowa State, Hull was a Graduate Assistant (1939-1940) at the Iowa State Agricultural Experiment Station. He was then hired as an automotive engineer (1940-1944) and a lubrication engineer (1944-1945) for the Standard Oil Company in Mason City, Iowa. Hull returned to Iowa State as an Assistant Professor (1945 -1954) in the Agricultural Engineering Department. He was promoted to Associate Professor (1954-1957) and Professor (1957-1977). He was named Professor Emeritus in 1978.
Hull's research interests include farm power and machinery and the related safety issues. He was an active member in the Society of Automotive Engineers Tractor Test Code Committee, Iowa Farm Safety Council, and the Federal Regional Energy Office.
Numerous professional groups honored Hull for his professional achievements. He was recognized by Alpha Zeta, Phi Kappa Phi, Gamma Sigma Delta, and Epsilon Sigma Phi, and received Epsilon Sigma Phi Certificates of Merit and the National Silo Association Z. W. Craine Award (1969). Hull served as the Chairman of the Mid Central Section of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers. He was also a long-time member of the National Literature Committee of the National 4-H Tractor Program.
Hull died July 1, 2003.
19.9 Linear Feet (15 records center cartons and 1 document box)
This collection is organized into four series:
Series 1, Biographical Information and Publications, 1930-1999
Series 2, Reference Files: Structures and Processing, 1917-1978
Series 3, Reference Files: Safety, 1917-1977
Series 4, Reference Files: Power and Machinery, 1917-1980
This collection is stored offsite. Please contact the Special Collections and University Archives at least 3 working days in advance.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Accidents--Prevention Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Agriculture--Research Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American Society of Agricultural Engineers
- Farm buildings--Design and construction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hull, Dale O.
- Iowa Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Iowa State University--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. Department of Agricultural Engineering
- Presentations (communicative events) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- RS 9/7/56. Dale O. Hull papers, 1917-1999
- July 1, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note