Livestock Conservation Institute records
Scope and Content
The collection includes clippings, meeting minutes, financial records, photographs and publications relating to LCI's work with the United States Department of Agriculture and others to eradicate hog cholera, tuberculosis, trichinosis, and other livestock health problems.
- 1922-1991, undated
- Livestock Conservation Institute (Organization)
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Livestock Conservation, Incorporated (LCI) was organized on February 28, 1951 with the consolidation of the National Livestock Sanitary Committee and the National Livestock Loss Prevention Board. In 1976, the name was changed to the Livestock Conservation Institute. The aim of LCI is to eliminate losses of livestock and meat products, which come from bruising, death and disease.
In 1975, the LCI absorbed the Omaha-Denver Livestock Conservation Committee, which was formed in 1917 as the Tuberculosis Eradication Committee. It later became the Omaha Livestock Sanitary and Loss Prevention Board and in 1952, it was agreed that its name be changed to Omaha-Denver Livestock Conservation Committee and that it "cooperate fully" with the newly organized LCI.
As a result of long term planning discussions beginning in 1996 the LCI changed its name to the National Institute for American Agriculture (NIAA) in January 2000. NIAA is based in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
9.15 Linear Feet (3 half-document boxes, 4 records center cartons, 2 oversized boxes)
Released on 2018-11-01.
- MS-0077. Livestock Conservation Institute records, 1922-1991, undated
- December 12, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note