Ames American Revolution Bicentennial Commission records
Scope and Content
This collection (1974-1976) contains activities and events planning materials, correspondence, financial information, a scrapbook, material related to the time capsule, the Quilt Story, Town Hall Talks Series, and minutes of commission meetings. The scrapbook mostly contains public relations material including memorandums, news clippings programs, resolutions, and event schedules and the "Quilt Story" which describes the making of the Ames Bicentennial Quilt. An extensive part of the collection is the Town Hall Talks Series. The series, organized by the Heritage Committee, was one part of Ames’ bicentennial celebration. Speakers' topics included what the Ames, Iowa State and surrounding communities were like in the past and topics related to United States history.
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
The Ames Foundation, created in May 1975 for educational and charitable purposes, headed the Ames American Revolution Bicentennial Commission. The bicentennial celebration was held in the summer of 1976, and was held in various cities all over the state of Iowa, but planning for the event started in 1974. Events included concerts, speakers, several county fairs and festivals, tours, flag ceremonies, and themed events such as the Pioneer Farm Days.
0.84 Linear Feet (2 document boxes)
Language of Materials
Released on 2018-11-01.
- American Revolution Bicentennial, 1976--Iowa--Ames Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ames (Iowa)--Anniversaries, etc. Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Financial records Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Planning materials Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- MS-0074. Ames American Revolution Bicentennial Commission records, 1974-1976
- February 11, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note