George G. Karas papers
Scope and Content
This collection contains reports, correspondence, and other materials relating Karas’ work with Iowa State University, particularly the African Graduate Fellowship Program, the English Proficiency Evaluation Committee, international student admissions, the Instituto Technologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey / Iowa State University exchange program, and the University’s United States Air Force Operations Analysis Standby Unit. The papers also include documents relating to his involvement in the Council of Graduate Schools, the Iowa Academy of Science, the Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools, and the Town and Gown Chamber Music Association (Ames, Iowa).
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
George G. Karas received a B.A. (1956) from Depauw University, an M.S. (1958) and a Ph.D. (1959) from Purdue University. He joined the Iowa State University faculty as an Assistant Professor of Psychology (1959-1963). Karas was promoted to Associate Professor (1963-1967) and became a full member of the Graduate Faculty (1962). He was named Assistant Dean of the Graduate College (1966-1977) and a Professor of Psychology in 1967. For almost twenty years, Karas served as an Associate Dean of the Graduate College (1977-1995). During his association with the Graduate College, he worked with the Teaching Assistants Orientation Seminars and the Graduate Student Senate. Karas retired from Iowa State University in 1995.
9.1 Linear Feet (7 records center cartons)
The collection is organized Alphabetically.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Exchange of persons programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University--Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. Graduate College
- Iowa State University. Graduate College--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- RS 6/3/51. George G. Karas papers, 1960-1995
- April 22, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note