Norman Leonard Jacobson papers
Scope and Content
The collection (1940-1993, undated) contains materials documenting Jacobson's career including vitae, published works, correspondence, manuscripts, grant proposals, awards, speeches, and research. Also in the collection are files related to some of his trips overseas to Egypt, Costa Rica, and Bulgaria. Correspondence and research related to Jacobson's work with milk fever and calcium metabolism in livestock, a project sponsored by the Moorman Manufacturing Company for over 20 years, can also be found in this collection. The bulk of the collection consists of correspondence with colleagues and various papers related to his research in nutritional physiology.
- 1940-1993, undated
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Norman L. Jacobson was born on September 11, 1918, in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin--Madison, where he graduated with a B.S. (1940) in dairy husbandry. Jacobson then went to Iowa State College (University) to pursue his M.S. (1941) in dairy husbandry with a minor in veterinary physiology and a Ph.D. (1947) in dairy husbandry with minors in physiology chemistry and veterinary physiology. During World War II, Jacobson served in the U.S. Navy (1942-1946) as a Line Officer where he carried out duties as a Navigator and Executive Officer.
After World War II, Jacobson returned to Iowa State where he completed his Ph.D. and was named Assistant Professor (1947-1949) in the Department of Animal Science. He was promoted to Associate Professor (1949-1953), full Professor (1953-1963) and Distinguished Professor of Agriculture (1963-1989). He joined the administration as Associate Dean (1973-1988) of the Graduate College, Associate Vice-President for Research (1979-1988) and Associate Provost for Research and Dean of the Graduate College (1988-1989). Jacobson retired in 1989 and received Emeritus status.
Jacobson's primary research interests were in nutritional physiology. Areas where he devoted major attention to consisted of bloat in cattle and sheep, lipid and fatty acid absorption in cattle, effects of feeding antibiotics to dairy cattle, etiology, cattle nutrition, and milk production. He was the author of over 130 published works, including in scientific journals, books, and book chapters. Jacobson also was involved in training new professionals as a major professor for 23 masters and 39 doctoral degree recipients.
In addition to being involved in matters at Iowa State University, he was active in professional organizations. He served on the editorial board for journals including Dairy Science and Nutrition. Jacobson held leadership positions at the American Dairy Science Association. He was a member of the National Research Council Subcommittees related to Animal Science and National Honor Societies.
Jacobson married Gertrude A. Neff on August 24, 1943. Together they had two children, Gary and Judy. Jacobson passed away on May 14, 2015
3.78 Linear Feet (9 document boxes)
Norman L. Jacobson was a professor in the Animal and Dairy Science Department and Administrator for Research and Graduate College. He primarily worked on nutritional physiology and is best known for his work related to cattle and dairy cattle. This collection contains materials including vitae, papers, correspondence, manuscripts, grant proposals, awards, speeches and research. Most of the material is correspondence with colleagues and various papers related to his research in nutritional physiology.
This collection largely maintains original order except for the correspondence files which are organized chronologically.
- Agriculture - Animal feeding Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Agriculture - Livestock Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Animal nutrition Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Articles Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Iowa State University. Department of Animal Science--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. Department of Animal Science--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Milk fever in animals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Project files Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Proposals Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Reports Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- RS 6/1/14. Norman Leonard Jacobson papers, 1940-1993, undated
- July 22, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note