Skip to main content

Iowa State University. Iowa State Center records

 Record Group — Multiple Containers
Identifier: RS 4/9

Scope and Content

This collection (1966-1970) contains news clippings, brochures, annual reports, newsletters, publications, playbills and programs from Stephens Auditorium, tape recordings, biographical files, administrative records, performance and event records, and scrapbooks related to the Iowa State Center, C. Y. Stephens Auditorium, the James H. Hilton Coliseum, the Fisher Theater, and the Scheman Continuing Education Building.

Dates

  • 1955-2015

Language of Materials

English

Access Restrictions

Open for research.

Use/Re-use Restrictions

Consult Special Collections and University Archives

Biography/Profile

The Iowa State Center, which includes the C. Y. Stephens Auditorium, the James H. Hilton Coliseum, the Fisher Theater, and the Scheman Continuing Education Building, stands as a tribute to Dr. James H. Hilton who made the first proposal for an Iowa State Center in his fall convocation address to the faculty in September 1954. As a result of Dr. Hilton's dedication to the concept, the ISU Foundation embarked on a mission to finance construction of the four-building complex and the $19.5 million complex was completed without the use of state or federal appropriations. The C.Y. Stephens Auditorium, conceived as both a theater and music hall, was officially opened September 9, 1969, with a historic series of five concerts by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. Hilton Coliseum was officially inaugurated December 2, 1971 with the first basketball game. It fills a long-felt need for a large multi-purpose indoor site for convocations, graduation exercises, sports activities and arena events attracting thousands of people. Fisher Theater was opened in 1974. The little theater is especially valuable to students in the production of plays, and may also be used for lectures, dance recitals and similar programs best presented in an intimate atmosphere. The Scheman Continuing Education Building, opened in 1975, serves the extensive program of seminars, conferences, short courses and other continuing education activities which have long been an integral part of Iowa State's role as a land-grant institution. In July 1993 a 500 year flood caused extensive damage to Hilton Coliseum and the Scheman Continuing Education Building.



Directors:



Horace Strong (1969-1970) Stephens manager

Richard D. Snyder (1970-1984)

Steven L. Peters (1984-1990)

Joseph Romano (1990-1996)

Mark North (1996-2015) General manager

Tammy Koolbeck (2015- ) Executive Director

Extent

15.31 Linear Feet (15 document boxes, 5 half document boxes, 1 record center carton, 4 oversize boxes)

Abstract

The Iowa State Center was first proposed in 1954 by President Hilton. His vison was a driving power to create a cultural center on campus. The first building constructed was the C.Y. Stephens Auditorium from 1966-1969. Hilton coliseum was built shortly afterwards from 1968-1971. The Fisher Theater or Little Theater, was built from 1972-1973. Lastly, the Scheman Continuing Education Building was built from 1973-1975. All four buildings were funded entirely by donations. This collection (1966-1970) contains news clippings, brochures, annual reports, newsletters, publications, playbills and programs from Stephens Auditorium, tape recordings, biographical files, administrative records, performance and event records, and scrapbooks.

Copies

Digital reproductions of a selection of materials relating to the Stephens Auditorium, part of Iowa State Center, are available electronically. Please see the Electronic Resources section for a link.

Collection Files

Processing Information

Released on 2018-06-12.

Title
RS 4/9. Iowa State University. Iowa State Center records, 1955-2015
Date
May 29, 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
403 Parks Library
701 Morrill Road
Iowa State University
Ames Iowa 50011-2102 United States
(515) 294-6672