American College of Veterinary Microbiologists records
Scope and Content
The collection (1962-1995) contains ACVM certification exam records, committee records, constitution, convention arrangements records, correspondence, financial records, membership lists, minutes, publications, and reports.
- American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (Organization)
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
The American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (ACVM) is the specialty organization recognized by the American Veterinary Medical Association for
Certification of veterinarians with special expertise in microbiology. Veterinary microbiology includes the fields of bacteriology, mycology, immuno-serology, and virology as they apply to veterinary medical science.
The ACVM developed from the former American Association of Veterinary Bacteriologists (AAVB). Increasing awareness among members of the AAVB of the need for board certification of veterinary microbiologists resulted in formation of an organizing committee in 1962.
Preparation of the Constitution and By-laws of the ACVM by this committee and approval of this document by the Council of Education, as well as the House of
Delegates of the American Veterinary Medical Association, paved the way for the organizational meeting of this specialty group at Louisville, Kentucky, on July 12,
1966. Full approval was granted by the AVMA effective July 21, 1968, at the annual meeting in Boston, Massachusetts.
10.61 Linear Feet (8 records center cartons and 1 half-document box)
The collection is container listed only.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- American College of Veterinary Microbiologists
- Immunology Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Science and Mathematics - Veterinary medicine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Veterinary microbiology Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MS-0439. American College of Veterinary Microbiologists records, 1962-1995
- January 11, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives Repository
403 Parks Library
701 Morrill Road
Iowa State University
Ames Iowa 50011-2102 United States