Allene Rosalind Jeanes papers
Scope and Content
This collection (1948-1995, undated) contains publications, bibliographies, newspaper clippings, a photograph, and a list of publications.
These records document a portion of Jeane’s career as a carbohydrate researcher. Included are eighteen articles, as well as bibliographies and reminiscences concerning the Dextran program. The bibliographies are extensive and provide coverage of Dextran research literature. The remainder of the collection contains biographical information about Dr. Jeanes and a complete listing of her publications.
- 1948-1995, undated
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Allene Rosalind Jeanes was born 19 July 1906 in Waco, Texas. She received her B.A. (1928) from Baylor University, her M.A. (1929) from the University of Berkeley, and her Ph.D (1938) in Organic Chemistry from the University of Illinois. She was employed as head science teacher (1930-1935) at Athens College (Alabama); Chemistry Instructor (1936-1937) at the University of Illinois; and as a chemical researcher (1941-1976) by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Northern Regional Research Center. Her research focused on carbohydrates and the development of Dextran as a plasma substitute during the Korean War, and she produced over sixty publications, twenty-four presentations, and received ten patents.
For her efforts, Jeanes received the Distinguished Service Award (1953) from the U.S.D.A. and the Garvan Medal (1956) from the American Chemical Society. Dr. Jeanes died in 1995.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 half-document box)
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Articles Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Autobiographies (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Bibliographies Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Blood plasma substitutes--Development Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chemists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Dextran--Development Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Midwest Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Society and Human Interactions - Women in science and engineering Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women chemists--Middle West--Biography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MS-0335. Allene Rosalind Jeanes papers, 1948-1995, undated
- July 1, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note