Keith A. McNurlen papers
Scope and Content
The collection (1957-1973, undated) contains correspondence, speeches, notes, photographs, periodicals, newsletters, pamphlets, and clippings. The correspondence focuses on McNurlen's conservation work and correspondents include Iowa Governors Harold Hughes and Robert Ray, and U.S. elected officials James Eastland, William Proxmire and Neal Smith. The remainder of the collection consists of printed materials that relate to conservation and the Izaak Walton League, including news clippings from the year he was the president of the Izaak Walton League of America (Iowa Division).
- 1957-1973, undated
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Dentist and conservationist, Keith A. McNurlen was born on November 8, 1919 in Dana, Iowa. He attended the Des Moines College of Pharmacy, Drake University, and the University of Minnesota. McNurlen received his B.S. (1942) and D.D.S. (1950) degrees from the University of Iowa. Beginning in 1950, McNurlen practiced dentistry in Ames, Iowa.
McNurlen was prominent in the field of conservation. He was appointed by Governor Harold Hughes to the Iowa Conservation Commission (1965), and was reappointed (1971) by Governor Robert Ray. He served as chair of the Iowa Conservation Commission for a one year term (1969-1970) and was a member of the Governor’s Committee on Conservation of Outdoor Resources, the Iowa Conservation Education Council, the Association of Midwest Fish and Game Commissioners and the Story County Conservation Board. He was a long-time member of the Ames Chapter of the Izaak Walton League and was president (1964) of the Izaak Walton League of America (Iowa Division). McNurlen was also a member of the national board of directors for the Izaak Walton League (1961-1968).
McNurlen died in January, 1973.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Dentists--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legislators--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nature conservation--Government policy--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Outdoor life--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Outdoor recreation--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Proxmire, William
- Speeches (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- MS-0028. Keith A. McNurlen papers, 1957-1973, undated
- December 12, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note