Cooperative Urban Teacher Education Program records
Scope and Content
This collection (1968-1994, undated) contains reports detailing the progress of teachers who had participated in the CUTE program, lesson plans, and guides to aid in educating teachers on how to teach within inner-cities. In addition to documenting the CUTE program at Iowa State University and nationwide, the records illustrate the beginning of a multicultural education movement that is now required in the education of future teachers.
- 1968-1994, undated
- Cooperative Urban Teacher Education Program (Organization)
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
The Cooperative Urban Teacher Education Program (CUTE) was organized in the fall of 1967 through the cooperation of several liberal arts colleges in Kansas, the Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory (McREL), and the Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas school systems. The program was based in Kansas. Iowa State University joined the program in the fall of 1969, and the coordinators at ISU for many years were in the Home Economics Education Department. CUTE offered eight weeks of multicultural training that was followed by eight, and later ten, weeks of student teaching. CUTE was designed to give future teachers a close look at different cultures and backgrounds in an urban setting. Students were immersed in city life and received an introduction to the problems of teaching in the inner-city. Iowa State pulled out of the program in 1995 citing that CUTE standards for supervision of student teaching did not match the Iowa Sate standards for student teaching supervision.
1.30 Linear Feet (1 records center carton)
The collection is organized Chronologically.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Cooperative Urban Teacher Education Program
- Education, Urban--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Home economics--Study and teaching--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. College of Home Economics
- Lesson plans Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Multicultural education--Study and teaching--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Teachers--Training of--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MS-0280. Cooperative Urban Teacher Education Program records, 1968-1994, undated
- February 11, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note