Benjamin Richard Ullem papers
Scope and Content
This collection (1907-1980) contains a letter regarding family history, a newspaper clipping and an agricultural log book. The letter was written by Ullem’s son, Ben F. Ullem, in 1980 and provides details about Ullem family history. The clipping is from the Chariton Leader (October 3, 1907) and contains "The First Settlers," authored by Thomas Brandon (father of Laura Brandon Ullem).
The commercially prepared log book, entitled "The Agricultural Log Book: A Complete and Simplified System of Accounts for the Farmer, Planter, Stock Raiser, Fruit Grower, Dairyman, Etc." was used by Benjamin Ullem to maintain his business records, primarily through the years 1913-1927. There are also notations for 1907. The book provides formats for record-keeping, receipts and legal documents as well as useful information regarding livestock, garden, and kitchen. Pages 304-306 appear to be minutes of a meeting or hearing regarding a dispute over telephone lines. Both Ullem and his father-in-law, Thomas Brandon, are mentioned in these minutes.
- 1907-1927, 1980
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Benjamin Ullem (1870-1957) was born near Centerville, Iowa. He was married to Laura Brandon in 1893 and they began farming northwest of Iconium, Iowa (Appanoose County), on land that had been in the Brandon family since 1843. They were engaged in grain and livestock farming until Laura’s death in 1919. Benjamin later married Mary Caylor. They remained on the farm until 1950, when they moved to Centerville. Ullem died March 3, 1957. For additional information on the Ullem family, please see box 1, folder 1.
A son and daughter of Laura and Benjamin Ullem still owned the original 160 acres in the late 20th century.
0.92 Linear Feet (1 oversized box)
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Family farms--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family farms--Iowa--Management Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farm life--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farmers--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Logs (records) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- MS-0234. Benjamin Richard Ullem papers, 1907-1927, 1980
- December 12, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note