George L. Dorsett papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains biographical information, an article, and photographs relating to George L. Dorsett's life and work.
- 1941-2000, undated
- Dorsett, G.L. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Consult Special Collections and University Archives.
Biographical / Historical
George L. Dorsett was born August 2, 1921 in Kansas. He attended the Rolla School of Mines (Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy) from 1939-1940 and worked as a coal miner. He then attended Iowa State College (University) starting 1940 and recieved his B.S. (1943) in Forestry.
After getting his B.S., he served in World War II in the Pacific Reigion in the U.S. Navy as a skipper of a PT boat. He was honorably discharged as a lieutenant, junior grade after two years. He then worked as an instructor at Arkansas State College. He decided to continute his education at the University of Michigan, but finished his graduate studies at Iowa State where he earned his M.S. (1949) in Forestry with a minor in General Engineering Vocational Education. Finally, he attended the University of Nebraska to earn his Ph.D. in School Administration, but left in 1951.
Dorsett later became an Assistant Professor of Forestry for the Department of Techincal Training at the Arkansas Agricultural and Mechanical College. By 1988, he was retired.
Dorsett was a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity, which he joined at Iowa State. He was also a member of the Society of American Foresters for over 50 years.
George L. Dorsett died January 9, 2003 in Arkansas.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 half-document box)
Language of Materials
- Biographical files Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Dorsett, G.L.
- Forests and forestry--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Science and Mathematics - Forests and forestry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War II Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 21/7/209 George L. Dorsett papers
- Leo Thompson, student assistant
- July 15, 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note