Skip to main content

United States. Soil Conservation Service photograph collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-0179

Scope and Content

This collection (1917-1949, undated) contains photographs and educational artwork relating to soil conservation work. The bulk of the collection consists of the 212 negatives and 309 prints, taken in the 1930s and 1940s. They are arranged by the subject numbers originally assigned to them, and by project and date within each subject. Case Farm Equipment is used throughout. There is also educational art work explaining conservation practices and how soil conservation works. Some of the educational materials are photographs and others are drawings or reproductions of a machine or natural process, such as erosion, showing how the machine or process works.



The collection was originally part of the Hugh H. Bennett Papers, a collection that had suffered water damage with subsequent mold development. Some of the photographs and negatives were unusable and were discarded. Some that remain are badly damaged, but still serve to illustrate the soil conservation practice depicted.

Dates

  • 1917-1949, undated

Language of Materials

English

Access Restrictions

Open for research.

Use/Re-use Restrictions

Consult Special Collections and University Archives

Biography/Profile

The United States Soil Conservation Service was established as an agency under the United States Department of Agriculture on April 27, 1935 when Congress passed Public Law 74-46. Hugh Hammond Bennett served as its first Director until he retired in 1952. The Soil Conservation Service was established in part to prevent the horrible conditions of the Dust Bowl of the 1920s and 1930s, and to raise awareness of the problem of soil erosion. The agency conducted surveys of the land, developed conservation practices, and devised flood control plans. Congress renamed the Soil Conservation Service the Natural Resources Conservation Service in 1994. The agency continues to provide technical assistance to farmers and other landowners.

Extent

4.62 Linear Feet (11 document boxes)

Abstract

The United States Soil Conservation Service was established as an agency under the United States Department of Agriculture on April 27, 1935. The agency conducted surveys of the land, developed conservation practices, and devised flood control plans. Congress renamed the Soil Conservation Service the Natural Resources Conservation Service in 1994. The agency continues to provide technical assistance to farmers and other landowners. The collection contains photographs and educational artwork relating to soil conservation work. The educational art work explains conservation practices and how soil conservation works.

Arrangement

The collection is organized Topically.

Items in related collections

MS-0164. Hugh Hammond Bennett papers, 1808-1964, undated MS-0460. National Association of Conservation Districts records, 1924-2002 MS-0198. United States Soil Conservation Service Oral History collection, 1981 MS-0264. Iowa Soil Conservation Districts records, 1940-1988, undated MS-0497. Iowa State Soil Conservation Committee newspaper scrapbooks, 1941-1948 MS-0558. Wallis R. Tonsfeldt papers, 1936-1984, undated

Processing Information

Released on 2018-11-01.

Title
MS-0179. United States. Soil Conservation Service photograph collection, 1917-1949, undated
Date
December 12, 2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
403 Parks Library
701 Morrill Road
Iowa State University
Ames Iowa 50011-2102 United States
(515) 294-6672