Skip to main content

Iowa State University. Alumni Association records

 Record Group — Multiple Containers
Identifier: RS 21/2

Scope and Content

This collection consists of materials related to the Iowa State University Alumni Association. Records include news clippings, annual reports, newsletters, brochures, publications, subject files, biographical files, Alumni Days records, honors and awards, administrative records and directors files.

Dates

  • undated

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Access Restrictions

Open for research.

Use/Re-use Restrictions

Consult Special Collections and University Archives

Biography/Profile

The first class of Iowa Agricultural College (Iowa State University) graduated in 1872, and it wasn’t long after that these alumni felt the need for an association of former students. An informal meeting was first held in 1876 by Iowa State alumni and students. The Alumni Association was officially formed on November 12, 1878 with Edgar W. Stanton (class of 1872) as president. Officers were elected, a constitution was signed and it was decided that meetings would be held biennially.



The first alumni club outside of Ames was formed in Chicago in 1893, and soon there were clubs in Washington D.C., New York City, and Pittsburgh. The Chicago club has been particularly active. In 1931, they sponsored a contest for a new school song. An entry by Jim Wilson titled “Bells of Iowa State” remains Iowa State’s school song to this day.



The Alumni Association would slowly take a more prominent role in campus activities. In 1905, the Alumni Association first published The Alumnus, which made it possible to keep alumni all over the country informed about the activities of Iowa State. Alumni Hall was completed in 1907 and became the home of the Alumni Association. During the 1920s, the Alumni Association played a large part in securing donations for the construction of the Memorial Union and upon its completion in 1928, moved their headquarters there.



Since then, the Alumni Association has grown to provide numerous services to the University and its alumni. In 1932, the Alumni Achievement Fund was created, the Alumni Association was incorporated as an independent self-governing association, and the first Honors and Awards program was held. In 1973, the Student Alumni Association was formed and a year after that the alumni travel program started. In 1980, the Alumni Achievement Fund merged with the ISU Foundation to combine fundraising efforts. 1988 marked the first issue of the Alumni Association’s new publication, VISIONS. The Alumni Association moved to its new home, the ISU Alumni Center, in 2008; it is located in the Iowa State Center near Jack Trice Stadium and C.Y. Stephens Auditorium.

Extent

1 collection

Items in related collections

RS 21/2/13. Wallace E. Barron papers, 1931-1979, undated RS 21/2/3. Iowa State University. Family and Consumer Sciences Alumni Association records, 1964-2006 RS 21/2/4. Iowa State University. Alumni Band Association records, 1980-2015 RS 21/2/5. Iowa State University. Student Alumni Leadership Council records, 1973-2011

Related collection materials

Iowa State University Alumni Association's publications:

The Iowa State Alumnus (1905-1974): LH1 Io9a

The Iowa Stater (1974-2002): MQ1626185

Visions (1988-present): LH1 V68x

Processing Information

Released on 2019-04-02.

Title
RS 21/2. Iowa State University. Alumni Association records
Date
April 8, 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
403 Parks Library
701 Morrill Road
Iowa State University
Ames Iowa 50011-2102 United States
(515) 294-6672