Skip to main content

Alpha Delta Pi Sorority. Pi Chapter Iowa State University

 Record Group — Multiple Containers
Identifier: RS 22/11/3/2

Scope and Content

This collection (1903-2011) includes scrapbooks, anniversary materials, pledge books, by-laws, song books, handbooks, fiscal reports, and news clippings related to the installation of the Pi chapter of Alpha Delta Pi at Iowa State College (University), the operation of the chapter, and sorority celebrations.

Dates

  • 1903-2011

Language of Materials

English

Access Restrictions

Open for research.

Use/Re-use Restrictions

Consult Special Collections and University Archives

Biography/Profile

The Pi Chapter of Alpha Delta Pi was installed at Iowa State College (University) on June 3, 1911 from a petitioning friendship club called Inomene Feliae. Among the early members were Mary Kelly Shearer, Alpha Delta Pi's first executive secretary; Ada Hayden, the first woman to receive a doctorate from Iowa State College (University) in 1918; and Margaret Sloss, the first woman to receive her doctorate in Veterinary Medicine from Iowa State College (University) in 1938.



Alpha Delta Pi's official colors are azure blue and white; the mascot is a lion nicknamed 'Alphie', the flower is the woodland violet, and the open motto is "We live for each other"; or "Boetheia Uper Allelon".



The Alpha Delta Pi house is located at 2125 Greeley Street, Ames, Iowa.

Extent

9.5 Linear Feet (3 records center cartons and 7 oversize boxes)

Arrangement

The collection is organized Chronologically.

Items in related collections

RS 22/11. Iowa State University. Student Organizations - Social Fraternities and Sororities records

Processing Information

Released on 2018-11-01.

Title
RS 22/11/3/2. Alpha Delta Pi Sorority. Pi Chapter Iowa State University, 1903-2011
Date
March 12, 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
403 Parks Library
701 Morrill Road
Iowa State University
Ames Iowa 50011-2102 United States
(515) 294-6672