Iowa State University. Cyclone Hockey records
Scope and Content
This collection (1967-2015) contains budgets, news clippings, rosters, letters-of-intent, and game programs that document the history of the Men’s Ice Hockey Club at Iowa State University. Materials related to the club's inception are also found in the collection.
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
During the winter of 1966-1967, a group of Iowa State University students and faculty started meeting regularly at Brookside Park in Ames for informal hockey games. Later that year, this group established the ISU Men's Ice Hockey Club with Charles Turner elected President and Chris Murray as advisor/coach. The club was officially recognized by the Government of the Student Body in the fall of 1967.
The Iowa Collegiate Hockey League was formed in 1969 and included Dordt, Drake, Graceland, Grinnell, and Iowa State University. In 1970, the club began playing out-of-state competition and also added a reserve "B" team to actively involve all members. For many years, the club competed on a makeshift ice arena in Hilton Coliseum until it began playing at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena.
Although it is not a varsity athletic team, the university ensures that the club meets NCAA standards. This means that the players must not exceed the maximum years of eligibility, must meet the required minimum grade point average, and are not paid for their efforts. As of 2019, the Cyclones have tallied an impressive 14 CSCHL championships.
0.84 Linear Feet (2 document boxes)
The Iowa State University Men's Ice Hockey Club participated in its first competition in 1967. The club competes in the Central States Collegiate Hockey League (CSCHL) as a part of the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA). This collection contains news clippings, schedules, and game programs. The records document club budgets, correspondence across the league, and personnel information.
This collection is organized alphabetically.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Hockey teams Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University--Hockey Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Membership lists Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Programs (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- RS 22/7/0/11. Iowa State University. Cyclone Hockey records, 1967-2015
- March 1, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note