Iowa State University Botany Club records
Scope and Content
This collection (1936-1996, undated) contains information from club meetings, lectures sponsored by or related to the club, newspaper clippings, club sponsored field trips, and newsletters. There are group photographs as well as photographs and slides from various field trips. The slides also contain images of different plant life observed on field trips. Most of the slides were created by George Knaphus, a professor of Botany at Iowa State and longtime advisor to the club.
- 1936-1996, undated
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
The Iowa State University Botany Club was composed of students from a range of majors who were interested in botany. Students involved in the club participated in various activities and created annual exhibits and displays for VEISHEA, a campus-wide celebration held at Iowa State University. Throughout its existence, the club also sponsored many field trips to places across the United States, including California, Colorado, Missouri, and Utah. The club was discontinued in 2003 when the Department of Botany was merged with several related disciplines to form the Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology.
3.94 Linear Feet (7 document boxes, 1 oversized box)
The collection is organized into two series:
Series 1, Club Records, 1955-1996, undated (chronological)
Series 2, Photographs and Slides, 1936-1992, undated (chronological)
Released on 2019-03-05.
- Botany--Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- College students--Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University--Students--Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Slides (photographs) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- RS 22/5/0/31. Iowa State University Botany Club records, 1936-1996, undated
- March 5, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note