Society of Professional Journalists, Sigma Delta Chi. Iowa State University Chapter records
Scope and Content
This collection (1913-1980) contains news clippings, activity reports, Gridiron Dinner programs, and correspondence. Also included are directories and scholarship information pertaining to Iowa State University's Sigma Delta Chi chapter. A highlight of the collection is a letter typed and signed by a member: Henry C. Wallace, a former member who graduated from Iowa State College (University) in 1893, started the Farm and Dairy newspaper (later to become the Wallace's Farmer) and served as the Secretary of Agriculture from 1921-1924. A large plaque from the collection is housed in the University Archives Artifact Collection.
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
The Iowa State University Chapter of Sigma Delta Chi was established in 1913, as a men's journalism honorary fraternity. The mission of Sigma Delta Chi is "[to] associate journalists of talent, truth, and energy into a more intimately organized unit of good fellowship, and in order to assist the members in acquiring the noblest principles of journalism and to cooperate with them in this field".
Originally open only to male undergraduate students majoring in journalism, Sigma Delta Chi allowed women to join in 1970. The chapter published newsletters and a magazine, The Green Gander. It held annual banquets called the Gridiron, which introduced new initiates. Sigma Delta Chi became the Society of Professional Journalists, Sigma Delta Chi in the 1973, and later dropped Sigma Delta Chi. The Iowa State chapter of Sigma Delta Chi appears to have been active until the 1980's and is no longer active on the Iowa State campus.
1.42 Linear Feet (1 oversized box and 1 half-document box)
The collection is organized Alphabetically.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Arts and Culture - Journalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Certificates Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- College students--Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalists--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newsletters Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- RS 22/5/0/15. Society of Professional Journalists, Sigma Delta Chi. Iowa State University Chapter records, 1913-1980
- September 5, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note