Henry M. Holmes papers
Scope and Content
This collection contains materials Holmes acquired as a freshman in engineering at Iowa State in 1941. Included in the collection are papers from his English and engineering classes, freshman orientation programs and guides, a touch football manual, a wrestling guide written by Iowa State wrestling coach Hugo Otopalik, a student conduct guide, and a fraternity promotional booklet from the Greek system.
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Henry M. Holmes was born on June 1, 1921, in Clinton, Iowa, to Robert and Ruth (Morehouse) Holmes. He enrolled at Iowa State College (University) in the fall of 1941 and studied engineering. His education was interrupted by World War II during which he served in the United States Navy from 1942 through 1945. He married Madalynne Leslie on August 10, 1942. After the war, Holmes was hired by the Chicago Northwestern Railroad as a switchman-foreman, a position he held until his retirement in 1981. Holmes died on April 29, 2014, in Camanche, Iowa.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 document box, 1 map case folder)
Released on 2018-11-01.
- College student orientation--Iowa--Ames Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Handbooks Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Iowa State College--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State College--Freshmen Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State College--Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 21/7/262. Henry M. Holmes papers, 1938-1942
- January 22, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note