James Verald Brown papers
Scope and Content
This collection (1934-2008, undated) contains course handouts and notes for classes taken by Brown at Iowa State. The course materials are mostly from classes in agriculture and animal husbandry, but also include botany, chemistry, economics, journalism, religious education, and sociology. The collection also contains some biographical information and materials related to Brown’s other activities at Iowa State, including Alpha Gamma Rho records, judging contest results, Social Council handouts, and rules for intramural touch football.
- 1934-2008, undated
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
James Verald Brown was born on March 25, 1914. He grew up near Hampton, Franklin County, Iowa. He received his B.S. (1938) in dairy husbandry from Iowa State College (University). Following graduation, Brown worked as a loan officer for two years with the Farm Security Administration (Farmers Home Administration) before returning home to work on the family farm.
As a student at Iowa State, Brown was active in a number of campus clubs and agricultural organizations. He was a member of Alpha Gamma Rho, Block and Bridle Club, Agricultural Council, Dairy Cattle Club and Judging Team, and the Campus 4-H Club. He was also a member of the Social Council, VEISHEA, and a life member of the Memorial Union.
Brown became a prominent member of Iowa’s swine industry. He raised, bred, and showed purebred Poland China and Yorkshire hogs. Brown served as secretary of the Poland China Association of Iowa. In 1959 he was the judge of the swine division at the Little International livestock show held at Iowa State. During the 1950s and 1960s he served on the board of the Iowa Swine Testing Station. Brown was recognized as a Distinguished Alumnus by ISU’s Gamma Sigma Delta, an agricultural honor society.
Brown met his wife, Phyllis, while both were students at Iowa State and together they raised four children. Brown died May 18, 2004.
1.05 Linear Feet (2 document boxes, 1 half-document box)
The collection is organized Alphabetically with biographical information at the front.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- College students--Iowa--20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farmers--Iowa--20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State College--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University--Curricula--20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lecture notes Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Swine--Breeding--Societies, etc.--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 21/7/212. James Verald Brown papers, 1934-2008, undated
- January 22, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note