Cora Belle Keith Pierce Botanical Specimen Book
Scope and Content
This collection (1875) contains one volume of botanical specimens collected by Cora Belle Keith Pierce. Pierce collected the sixty-three plant samples on or near the Iowa Agricultural College (Iowa State University) campus from April through September 1875 as a requirement for her sophomore year botany classes. Many of the samples are labeled with each plant's order, genus, species, habitat, and date collected. Some items are left unidentified. Several samples, including mosses and some flowering specimens, are pressed between thin pieces of cardboard and were not inserted into the book.
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Cora Belle Keith was born on August 31, 1859. She attended Iowa Agricultural College (Iowa State University) starting in 1874 and received her B.S. in 1877. She married Thomas A. Pierce on August 31, 1882, and became a homemaker in Vinton, Iowa. In 1883, she gave birth to a daughter, Cora A. Pierce. Cora Belle Keith Pierce died less than two years later on February 19, 1885.
0.85 Linear Feet (1 volume in custom flat box)
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Ames (Iowa) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Botanical specimens--Iowa--Ames--Identification Subject Source: Local sources
- Botany--Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Iowa State College--Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University--Students--19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Physicians--Middle West--19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Physicians--West (U.S.)--19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Specimens Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- RS 21/7/136. Cora Belle Keith Pierce Botanical Specimen Book, 1875
- December 7, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note