Carl Olson Jr. papers
Scope and Content
This collection (1900-1987) consists of class notebooks compiled during Olson’s undergraduate study at Iowa State College (University). The notebooks document his course studies as a student of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State. Also included are the compiled course notes of his father, Carl Olson, Sr., translations of L. Moule’s Veterinary Medicine writings, and veterinary certificates for both father and son.
- 1900-1987, undated; bulk 1927-1931
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Carl Olson, Jr., was born September 15, 1910, in Sac City, Iowa. Olson earned a DVM (1931) degree from Iowa State College (University) and an M.S. (1934) and Ph.D. (1935) from the University of Minnesota. Olson held faculty appointments at a number of universities including New York State Veterinary College, University of Massachusetts, University of Nebraska, and the University of Wisconsin.
Olson was known for his work on avian leukosis and papillomaviruses. His work in this area led to a better understanding of the propagation of cancerous tumors. He received the Distinguished Achievement Citation (1983) from the ISU Alumni Association. Olson also translated several historic veterinary medical writings from French to English. Following his retirement in 1981, Olson moved to Pennsylvania.
Olson died on February 28, 2002.
1.68 Linear Feet (4 document boxes and 1 map case folder)
Carl Olson, Jr., was a veterinary pathologist and pioneer in cancer research. Olson taught at the University of Nebraska—Lincoln where he served as the Head of the Veterinary Pathology Department and also taught at the University of Wisconsin until his retirement in 1981. The collection (1900-1987) consists of class notebooks that document his course studies as a Veterinary Medicine student at Iowa State College (University).
- Certificates Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Course materials Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Iowa State College--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Notebooks Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Science and Mathematics - Veterinary medicine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Veterinary medicine--Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 21/7/112. Carl Olson Jr. papers, 1900-1987, undated; bulk 1927-1931
- July 23, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note