Russel D. Miller and Hazel M. McLaughlin scrapbook
Scope and Content
This scrapbook (1916-1942) contains photographs, college memorabilia, programs, and invitations. The photographs depict social activities, the Iowa State campus and area buildings, fraternity and sorority activities, and travels. The materials also include wedding programs and invitations, Hazel's athletic passes and tickets from Drake University, and sorority event programs.
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Russel D. Miller was born on May 16, 1898, in Coon Rapids, Iowa. He received his B.S. (1921) in architectural engineering and his M.S. (1928) in physics from Iowa State College (University).
Before working for Iowa State, Miller was an educator at several Iowa secondary schools. He served as a teacher at Dumont High School (1921-1923), the Superintendent of schools at Geneva (1923-1925), and was an instructor at Grant Consolidated School in Nevada (1925-1926). At Iowa State, he served as Instructor (1926-1947) and Assistant Professor (1947-1948) in the Department of Physics. In 1949, he left teaching and moved to Iowa City where he operated a motel.
Hazel Mary McLaughlin was born on January 4, 1897. She attended Drake University and married Russel Miller on August 16, 1922.
Russel Miller died on February 20, 1967, in Hardy, Arkansas, and was survived by his wife, Hazel. She died in December 1972 and was buried with her husband in the Ames Municipal Cemetery.
1.41 Linear Feet (1 oversized box)
Russel D. Miller graduated from Iowa State College (University) with a B.S. (1921) in Architectural Engineering and a M.S. (1928) in Physics. He taught physics at Iowa State for over two decades. His wife, Hazel McLaughlin Miller, attended Drake University. This collection consists of a scrapbook containing photographs and memorabilia documenting the Millers' college days and married life.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Drake University--Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State College--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State College. Department of Physics--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University--Students--20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- RS 21/7/101. Russel D. Miller and Hazel M. McLaughlin scrapbook, 1916-1942
- January 15, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note