Charles Laverty papers
Scope and Content
This collection (1965-1974, undated) contains files relating to Charles Laverty's work on environmental issues and land use during his service in the Iowa state legislature. The materials include correspondence, minutes, reports, and background information.
- 1965-1974, undated
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Charles Owen Laverty was born in Indianola, Iowa, on 16 April 1916. He was the son of Charlie and Bertha Laverty. He attended Indianola schools and Simpson College prior to earning a B.S. (1940) in dairy husbandry from Iowa State College (University).
Laverty was a farmer who also operated farm-chemical sales and commercial spraying businesses. He was the owner and president of Laverty Sprayers, Laverty Elevator, and Laverty Supply.
He represented Marion, Monroe, and Warren counties in the Iowa State Senate (1969-1972). During his two terms as state senator, he headed two environmental preservation study committees which produced several innovations which were later enacted into state law, including the establishment of the Chemical Technology Review Board, the Department of Environmental Quality, and a soil conservancy measure. Laverty was also a member of the Land Use Policies Study Committee.
He married Irene Upton in 1946. They had two children: Becky and David. Charles Laverty died 10 June 1995.
2.6 Linear Feet (2 records center cartons)
The collection is organized Alphabetically.
This collection is stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives at least 3 working days in advance.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Environmental policy--Law and legislation--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Environmental policy--Research Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farmers--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa--Politics and government Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Iowa. General Assembly. Senate
- Land use--Law and legislation--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 21/7/69. Charles Laverty papers, 1965-1974, undated
- July 1, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note