Gertrude L. Sunderlin papers
Scope and Content
The collection (1926-1990, undated) contains biographical materials, correspondence, and reprints of articles written by her. Many of Sunderlin's writings focused on cooking, canning, recipes, and nutrition. The collection also contains materials related to her work with the Master Mix. In addition, there are articles written by her students regarding products developed in Sunderlin’s experimental cookery classes.
- 1926-1990, undated
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Gertrude L. Sunderlin was born on August 27, 1894, to Floyd and Mae Scott Sunderlin in Delmar, Iowa. She received a B.S. (1919) in Home Economics, an M.A. (1926) in Household Bacteriology and her Ph. D. (1928) in Bacteriology and Foods and Nutrition from Iowa State College (Iowa State University). She was the first woman to be granted a Ph. D. from Iowa State’s College of Home Economics.
She taught at Louisiana State University (1928-1931). Later she joined the faculty at Purdue University in 1931. Ten years later she became an Associate Professor (1941-1946) and later advanced to the rank of Professor (1946-1954).
Gertrude L. Sunderlin developed the first Master Mix for biscuits, cookies, muffins and cakes (1948). Master Mix consists of a premeasured mixture of dry ingredients and fats that can be stored up to six weeks and be used in cooking and baking. She also developed a recipe for freezing jelly and jam (1953). She later received a Centennial Citation from Alumni Association of Iowa State University (1958).
Dr. Sunderlin died on June 20, 1990 after a long illness and is buried in Oakland Cemetery, Iowa City, Iowa.
0.63 Linear Feet (1 document box and 1 half-document box)
The collection is arranged into four series:
Series 1, Biographical Information and Correspondence, 1954-1990, undated (alphabetical)
Series 2, Writings, Articles, and Publications, 1926-1971, undated (alphabetical)
Series 3, Master Mix Materials, 1947-1971, undated (alphabetical)
Series 4, Articles By Other People, 1943-1973, undated (alphabetical)
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Articles Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Biographies (literary works) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Cooking--Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Iowa State College--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State College--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nutritionists--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women scientists--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 21/7/35. Gertrude L. Sunderlin papers, 1926-1990, undated
- January 15, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note