Skip to main content

Epsilon Sigma Phi. Alpha Mu Chapter (Iowa) records

 Record Group — Multiple Containers
Identifier: RS 20/1/4

Scope and Content

The collection (1928-[ongoing]) contains the records of the Alpha Mu Chapter of Epsilon Sigma Phi. The documents consist of membership information, annual meeting reports, correspondence, award information, presidents’ files, handbooks and committee reports. The collection also includes the articles of incorporation and bylaws, “Extension Worker’s Creed,” and histories of the national and local organization.

Dates

  • 1928-2008, undated

Language of Materials

English

Access Restrictions

Open for research.

Use/Re-use Restrictions

Consult Special Collections and University Archives

Biography/Profile

As a Land-Grant University, Iowa State University has been a leader in the Extension movement. As a major function of Land-Grant Universities, Extension allows these universities an opportunity to share their knowledge and expertise with the general public for the greater good.



Iowa State’s first president, Adonijah Welch, began teaching short courses during the winter of 1869. The federal government passed the Hatch Act (1887) establishing Agricultural Experiment Stations at Land Grant Colleges, which Iowa State soon took advantage of and implemented. This prompted increased research in agriculture which became a recognized function of a Land Grant University. In 1903, farm demonstrations were introduced in Sioux County, Iowa. The Smith-Lever Act of 1914 provided mutual cooperation between the United States Department of Agriculture and Land Grant Colleges in conducting agricultural extension work. This act cemented the role Extension would have at Iowa State University.



Epsilon Sigma Phi is a national honor society for Extension Service workers. The organization’s goals are to maintain high professional standards, preserve traditions, foster professional relationships, and sustain morale and prestige of the Extension Service. The fraternity officially formed in Bozeman, Montana, in 1927.



The Iowa chapter of Epsilon Sigma Phi was established in October 1928 at an Extension workers dinner held in Ames, Iowa. The members voted to name the chapter the “Perry G. Holden Chapter,” in honor of the first Director of Extension (1906-1912) in Iowa. However, the national organization decided that the Iowa chapter would be named the Alpha Mu Chapter. Chapter activities include holding annual meetings and recognizing its members with various awards.

Extent

4.83 Linear Feet (11 document boxes and 1 half-document box)

Arrangement

The collection is organized into three series:

Series 1, Subject Files, 1929-1998, undated (alphabetical)

Series 2, Administrative Records, 1928-2008 (chronological)

Series 3, Membership Records, 1928-2008, undated (chronological)

Processing Information

Released on 2019-03-12.

Title
RS 20/1/4. Epsilon Sigma Phi. Alpha Mu Chapter (Iowa) records, 1928-2008, undated
Date
March 13, 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
403 Parks Library
701 Morrill Road
Iowa State University
Ames Iowa 50011-2102 United States
(515) 294-6672