Jesse Negus papers
Scope and Content
This collection (1860-1939, undated) includes a photocopy of Jesse Negus’ journal, an abstract of title for Jesse and Rachel’s land, and a biographical letter about Jesse Negus from Mrs. Lloyd Henderson (Jesse’s granddaughter). In the journal Jesse Negus recorded his daily activities, including his work on the farm. Most of the entries are very brief summaries of the day's activities. The journal begins in August 1860 when he and his wife moved into their own new house, and ends in1902 with him relating that he had helped winnow hard millet that afternoon. Also in this collection is a news article about the Negus Family Reunion in 1939, held at Scattergood Friends School near West Branch, Iowa. The article gives a brief history of the Negus family in Iowa.
- 1860-1939, undated
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Jesse Negus was born in Damascus, Ohio on January 8, 1831 and married Rachel Mather in Springdale, Iowa, on October 13, 1858. He took possession of his farm, located in Cedar County, Iowa, in December 1858. The farm had been bought for them in 1853. Jesse Negus read a lot and was interested in newer farming activities and methods. He tried out many new ideas such as an orchard of cherries, peaches, pears, apples, and grapes. According to his granddaughter, Mrs. Lloyd Henderson, he was a devout Quaker and a good neighbor and friend in the community.
Rachel and Jesse had three children, two of whom died young. William P. was their only surviving child, and he later married Lucretia Claudia Patterson. Jesse Negus died October 2, 1922 at West Branch, Iowa.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 half-document box )
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Diaries Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Family farms--Iowa--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farm life--Iowa--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farmers--Iowa--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farms--Iowa--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Negus family--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MS-0124. Jesse Negus papers, 1860-1939, undated
- December 12, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note