Phillip Theodore Pearson papers
Scope and Content
This collection contains biographical information, speeches, correspondence, and information relating to the College of Veterinary Medicine, including accreditation reports, committees’ materials, and documents relating to the Veterinary Medicine Complex.
- 1961-1989, undated
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Phillip Theodore Pearson was born on November 21, 1932 in Story County, Iowa. He received his D.V.M. (1956) and Ph.D. (1962) from Iowa State University.
After receiving his D.V.M., Pearson interned at the Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts (1956-1957). He returned to Iowa State University in 1957 as an instructor in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, and later became an assistant professor (1960) and an associate professor (1963). In 1964, Pearson left Iowa State to go to the University of Missouri as Professor and Assistant Director of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery. After only a year, he returned to Iowa State University as Professor of Veterinary Clinical Sciences. In 1972, he was appointed Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine, a position he held for seventeen years. He stepped down as dean in 1989, to resume teaching. Phillip T. Pearson retired from Iowa State University and became Professor Emeritus in 1996.
Pearson belongs to several professional organizations and honor societies, such as the American Veterinary Medical Association, the Iowa Veterinary Medical Association, the American Society for Artificial Internal Organs, Phi Zeta, and Alpha Zeta. He also received awards for his outstanding service to veterinary medicine and teaching, including the Riser Small Animal Award, Outstanding Teacher Award at Iowa State University, and the Gaines Award and Medal.
0.21 Linear Feet (1half-document box)
The collection is organized Alphabetically.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Biography files Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Iowa State University--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. College of Veterinary Medicine
- Science and Mathematics - Veterinary medicine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Speeches (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- RS 14/1/19. Phillip Theodore Pearson papers, 1961-1989, undated
- April 22, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note