Henry Dale Bergman papers
Scope and Content
Collection contains newsclippings, memorials, correspondence, and reprints of two articles written by Dean Bergman.
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Henry Dale Bergman was born November 22, 1886 in Newton, Iowa. He received a D.V.M. (1910) from Iowa State College (University).
Dr. Bergman began his career at Iowa State as an Assistant in Veterinary Medicine (1910-1911). He was promoted to Assistant Professor of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology (1911-1913), Associate Professor (1913-1916), Professor and Head of the Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology (1916-1952), and Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine (1943-1952).
Dean Bergman’s research interests included the physiology of the duodenal glands of domestic animals and digestion in ruminants. He has written numerous papers and publications, including “ The Study of the Enzymic Action of Extracts of the Duodenal Gland Regions of Domestic Animals” (1924) and the Laboratory Manual for Experimental Physiology (1944).
Dr. Bergman was actively involved in various professional organizations, such as the American Veterinary Medical Association (president, 1938), Iowa Veterinary Medical Association (president, 1924), Association of Deans of American Veterinary Colleges (president, 1948), United States Livestock Sanitary Association, and the Iowa Academy of Science. He was also a delegate for the International Veterinary Congress in London (1930) and in New York City (1934). In addition, Bergman was a member of the Ames Planning Commission, the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association (later named the Big Twelve Conference), and the Iowa State University Memorial Union Board.
Dean Bergman received several awards and honors including the Alumni Recognition Medal (1953), Iowa State University Faculty Citation (1954), Chicago Alumni Merit Award (1959), and the Honorary Doctor of Science degree from Iowa State University (1958).
He passed away May 20, 1965.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 half-manuscript box)
The collection is organized Alphabetically.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Awards Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Biography files Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Iowa State College--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. College of Veterinary Medicine
- Iowa State University. College of Veterinary Medicine--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Science and Mathematics - Veterinary medicine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 14/1/15. Henry Dale Bergman papers, 1911-1965
- April 22, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note