Dexter French papers
Scope and Content
The collection (1941-2011, undated) contains biographical information and newspaper clippings on Dexter French's life and work. It also contains reprints of many of Dr. French's articles relating to his research on the structure of starch and the chemical basis for the catalytic action of enzymes that act on starch.
- 1941-2011, undated
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Dexter French was born in Des Moines, Iowa, on February 23, 1918. His parents were Raymond Albert and Minnie Emily (Omerod) French. He received his A.B. (1938) in chemistry and mathematics from the University of Dubuque and his Ph.D. (1942) in plant chemistry from Iowa State College (University). He was a Postdoctoral Fellow (1942-1944) at the Harvard Medical School. French worked as a Research Chemist (1944-1945) for Corn Products Co. and as a Consultant (1947-1948) for the Sioux Honey Association and the National Starch and Chemical Corporation.
In 1946, French was named Assistant Professor (1946-1951) of plant chemistry at Iowa State. He was promoted to Associate Professor (1951-1955) and Professor (1955-1960) of chemistry. French then served as Professor (1960-1968) and Distinguished Professor (1968-1981) in the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics. He also served as Chair (1963-1971, 1974-1975) of the department.
French received numerous awards for his research into the chemical and physical structure of starches, including the Hudson Award (1964) and the Agricultural and Food Chemistry Award (1980) from the American Chemical Society, a Faculty Citation (1970) from the Iowa State University Alumni Association, the Alsberg-Schoch Award (1974) of the American Association of Cereal Chemists, and the Iowa Award (1977) of the Iowa Section of the American Chemical Society. In 1978, the publication Carbohydrate Research dedicated an issue to French.
French married Mary Catherine Martin in 1939. They had seven children. French passed away on November 26, 1981.
0.63 Linear Feet (1 document box and 1 half-document box)
The collection is organized Chronologically with biographical and personal information at the front.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Biographies (literary works) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Chemists--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Iowa State University--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. Department of Chemistry--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Starch--Properties Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Starch--Structure Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Starch--Synthesis Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 13/35/12. Dexter French papers, 1941-2011, undated
- April 18, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note