Theodore Alfonso Bancroft papers
Scope and Content
This collection (1944-2005) contains biographical information and published articles of T. A. Bancroft. The biographical information includes faculty information forms, Iowa State press releases, lists of publications, and news clippings. The published articles include works relating to statistics authored or coauthored by Bancroft as well as a book review submitted by Bancroft.
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Theodore Alfonso Bancroft was born January 2, 1907, in Columbus, Mississippi. He received his B.A. (1927) from the University of Florida, an M.A. (1934) from the University of Michigan, and a Ph.D. (1943) from Iowa State College (University).
Bancroft began his career at Iowa State University as a Graduate Assistant (1941-1943) and Assistant Professor (1943-1945). He accepted a position at the University of Georgia (1945-1947) and later at Auburn University (1947-1949). Bancroft returned to Iowa State as Associate Professor (1949-1950) in the Department of Statistics. He was promoted to Professor (1950-1977), named Head (1950-1972) of the Department of Statistics, and Director (1950-1972) of the Statistical Laboratory. In 1977, he was named Professor Emeritus.
Bancroft authored many books and articles on applied statistics and the teaching of statistics. This includes the book Statistical Theory in Research (call number: QA286 An25s), which he co-authored with R. L. Anderson.
Bancroft was President (1963) of Sigma Xi, President (1970) of the American Statistical Association, and President (1964) of the Biometric Society. He was also a member of the American Association of the Advancement of Science, the Institute of Mathematical Studies, Inter-American Statistical Institute, and the International Statistical Institute. In addition, Bancroft was appointed to numerous national and international councils.
Theodore Alfonso Bancroft passed away July 26. 1986 in Ames, Iowa.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 half-document box)
The collection is organized Alphabetically.
Released on 2018-11-01.
- College teachers--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State College--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. Department of Statistics--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. Statistical Laboratory--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Statisticians--Iowa Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RS 13/24/11. Theodore Alfonso Bancroft papers, 1944-2005
- January 23, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note