Pearl Hogrefe papers
Scope and Content
The collection (1914-1977, undated) contains biographical information, class notes, publications, and correspondence. Much of the correspondence relates to her research and publishing efforts. Hogrefe's publications focus mostly on the writing of fiction and the English Renaissance, including articles about Thomas More and Thomas Elyot. In addition the papers include galley proofs, notes, and manuscripts on Tudor Women: Commoners and Queens (1975; call number: HQ1596 .H63) and on Women of Action in Tudor England (1977; call number: HQ1595.A3 H63).
- Hogrefe, Pearl (Person)
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Pearl Hogrefe (1889-1977) received an A.B. (1910) from Southwestern College in Winfield, Kansas. She earned her M.A. (1913) the University of Kansas and her Ph.D. (1927) from the University of Chicago.
Hogrefe was Head (1919-1921) of English at Missouri Wesleyan College. From there she went on to teach (1921-1924) at the Iowa State Teachers College (University of Northern Iowa). She also taught at Louisiana Polytechnic Institute, where she was a Professor and Head (1928-1931) of the Department of English. In 1931, Hogrefe became an Associate Professor (1931-1944) at Iowa State College (University) and was later promoted to Professor (1944-1971).
She was a member of Modern Language Association, Renaissance Society of America, Shakespeare Society of America, Association of American University Professors, and American Association for University Women. There are two fellowships to commemorate Pearl Hogrefe: the Wood-Hogrefe and the Pearle Hogrefe Endowment Fellowships. Her research and publication interests concentrate on the English Renaissance and the writing of fiction. Hogrefe has written seven major articles and ten books, including Tudor Women: Commoners and Queens.
2.73 Linear Feet (6 document boxes and 1 half-document box)
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Articles Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Authors, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Awards Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Certificates Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- English literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hogrefe, Pearl
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Reviews (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Wills Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- RS 13/10/52. Pearl Hogrefe papers, 1914-1977
- January 23, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives Repository
403 Parks Library
701 Morrill Road
Iowa State University
Ames Iowa 50011-2102 United States