Geitel Winakor papers
Scope and Content
This collection (1927-2012, undated) contains documents related to the research work and career of Geitel Winakor. Included in the collection are biographical information such as her curriculum vitae, photographs, and awards; correspondence with her research associates and colleagues; course materials covering Winakor's teaching career at Iowa State University; meeting minutes and proceedings including the annual meetings of The Costume Society of America, of which Winakor was a member; presentations given to companies and colleagues; proposals to institute a doctoral program at Iowa State; publications by Winakor on family clothing consumption, gift giving of clothing, and other topics including articles published in the Journal of Home Economics; reports compiled by Winakor; and research conducted by Winakor in her studies.
- 1927-2012, undated
- Winakor, Geitel (Person)
Language of Materials
Open for research.
Consult Special Collections and University Archives
Geitel Winakor was born August 29, 1929 in Springfield, Illinois. She received a B.A. (1950) in home economics from the University of Illinois, an M.S. (1951) in textiles and clothing from Drexel Institute of Technology, and a Ph.D. (1960) from Iowa State University in consumption economics. While completing her Ph.D. studies she received the Omicron Nu-American Home Economics Associated Research Fellowship (1958-1959) and the General Foods Fund Fellowship (1959-1960). She also studied (1953, 1955, 1958, and 1965) at the University of Tennessee Summer Crafts Workshop.
Winakor was an Instructor (1951-1954) at Michigan State University in the Department of Textiles, Clothing, and Related Arts. She was a member of the University of Toronto Faculty of Household Science as a Lecturer (1954-1956) and as an Assistant Professor (1956-1957). Winakor joined the Iowa State University Department of Textiles and Clothing as an Assistant Professor (1960-1962). She was promoted to Associate Professor (1962-1966), and Professor (1966-1992). She served as an associate member (1962-1968) of the Graduate College Faculty and as a full member (1968-1992). She was named the Mary B. Welch Distinguished Professor in Family and Consumer Sciences (1973) and Professor Emeritus (1992).
Winakor was a member of several honor societies including Alpha Lambda Delta, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Upsilon Omicron, and Omicron Nu. She was also active in many professional associations such as the Home Economic Association, the American Economic Association, the Costume Society (England), the Costume Society of America, American Crafts Council, and the International Textiles and Apparel Association.
Winakor received numerous awards throughout her career, including Outstanding Researcher Award (1987) from the College of Home Economics, Iowa State University; Fellow (1989) of the Association of College Professors of Textiles and Clothing; Outstanding Researcher Award (1989) from Iowa State University; the Board of Regents State of Iowa Award for Faculty Excellence (1990); and Emeritus Life Member of Phi Kappa Phi (1993) by Iowa State University Chapter.
10.1 Linear Feet (4 records center cartons, 2 large flat boxes, 7 document boxes, 1 half-document box)
The collection is arranged into nine series:
Series 1: Biographical Material, 1983-2012
Series 2: Correspondence, 1959-2003
Series 3: Course Materials, 1967-1993, undated
Series 4: Meetings, 1968-2006, undated
Series 5: Presentations, 1961-1990
Series 6: Proposals, 1972-1981
Series 7: Publications, 1950-2000, undated
Series 8: Reports, 1927-1992, undated
Series 9: Research, 1963-1991, undated
Released on 2018-11-01.
- Arts and Culture - Apparel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Fashion design--Study and teaching (Higher)--Iowa--Ames Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iowa State University. Department of Textiles and Clothing--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Presentations (communicative events) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Publications (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Reports Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Research (documents) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Universities and colleges--Curricula Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Winakor, Geitel
- RS 12/10/51. Geitel Winakor papers, 1927-2012, undated
- April 10, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 13 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 14 (Mixed Materials)
- call-number: VIDE 004 440 (Mixed Materials)